Film Production, Below the Line
About the Program
Hollywood in Focus is an innovative mentoring initiative connecting storytellers from around the world with leading U.S. Entertainment Professionals through professional mentorships, workshops and master classes.
Selected participants will travel to Los Angeles to work on an active production lot. Central to the event are experiential seminars lead by established American mentors working in today’s foremost entertainment industry. Through the expertise of these individuals, attendees receive state-of-the-art training and hands-on industry access. Three-weeks of master classes and workshops are followed by two-weeks of production apprenticeship – all designed to instill industry acumen and knowledge. The utmost goal of HOLLYWOOD IN FOCUS: DEVELOPING TALENT FOR SAUDI ARABIA’S FILM INDUSTRY is to support the development of independent, authentic and compelling content alongside U.S. entertainment professionals, while fostering creative cross-pollination between filmmakers from diverse countries.
- Departmental Breakdowns
- Hierarchies and Communication Systems
- Production Work-Flow and Responsibilities
- On-set Safety and Etiquette
- Set Readiness
- Overviews for all students in below-the-line trades. For example:
- Production Office
- Set Dressing
- Hair + Make-Up
- Script Supervision
- Specialized focus in one of the above for continued study and on-set apprenticeship
- Strategy and best-practices for working and thriving in freelance industries
- Portfolio review
- Networking opportunities with both above and below-the-line authorities
HOLLYWOOD IN FOCUS is based at Los Angeles Center Studios, a 20-acre full-service studio for TV, film and commercial production used by a variety of Hollywood productions such as Jungle Book, Straight Outta Compton, Lethal Weapon 4, True Detective, 24, Scandal, Mad Men, The Voice, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Scorpion and American Ninja Warrior, to name a few.
In the midst of this active production studio is a new, fully-secured campus, designed to foster collaboration, content creation, and academic interaction. 5 minutes or less gets you to any location within the lot including:
- RS1 Digital—our in-house television and digital production studio and editing lab.
- The West Wing—classrooms, faculty lounge, dance studio, and library.
- The Hub—reception, administrative offices, student services, conference room, academic office and computer lab.
- Outdoor Student Lounge.
- Camera-ready commercial dance studio with theatrical lighting trusses and surround sound.
- Staging areas with Green Screen backdrops.
- Practice/Rehearsal/Changing Rooms.
- Equipment room with checkout available to both students and staff including standard production equipment for all levels of production.
- Screening Room
- Access to practical sets at Los Angeles Center Studios.
- State-of-the-art Movement Space with both marley and wood sprung floor
Sound stages, outdoor park, the 400-seat Beaudry Theatre and Flix Café.
Studio Institute Global's HOLLYWOOD IN FOCUS: DEVELOPING TALENT FOR SAUDI ARABIA’S FILM INDUSTRY participants must be citizen residents of Saudi Arabia. All participants will be selected via a process administered by the Saudi Cultural Authority.
For inquiries, please contact [email protected].
Selected participants must attend the full length of the program in LA from July 23 – August 25.
Studio Institute Global and [email protected], a partnership of the U.S. Department of State's Office of Global Partnerships (S/GP), have partnered on HOLLYWOOD IN FOCUS, an innovative mentoring initiative connecting storytellers from around the world with leading U.S. entertainment professionals through professional mentorships, workshops and master classes.